Sasha's Reality Dial On The Net

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Help :(

So I have "agreed" to go on the senior cadet backcountry hiking/camping trip. I can't really say that I am being forced to because I could just say no and refuse but if I chose to do that then there will be no female adult going and that will mean that none of our senior female cadets could go and that's just not fair to the kids - so I am going.

We are going to Don Getty Provincial Park in Kananaskis and we will be hiking the Elbow Loop Trail over three days. The trail is 42km and has an elevation of 2100feet . From what I read on the internet most of the incline is over a 7.2km stretch which from the sounds of it is going to be the most brutal... if I drop dead on the trip I am suspecting that it will be right there... on the other hand the other officer's at cadets are trying to convince me that it is not a steep hill, just a little incline - but I don't really know whether I should believe them or not :(

I packed my bag tonight and with all the crap I have to lug along there is not very much room AT ALL for anything else so I just shoved in the bare minimums and took out the extra shirts and pants and shit I was planning to take. Everyone else is just taking one extra shirt and pants so that one set can dry out if need be so I did the same but also included a long sleeve shirt and a fleece hoodie. I don't have rain gear but I have three garbage bags so hopefully that will do. After I got the bag packed I went and weighed myself with the pack and the pack weights in at exactly 38lbs.

I know this will probably be the most challenging thing I have EVER agreed to do - and my most uncomfortable kind of challenge because it is going to be physical... and while I shouldn't... I usually avoid physical challenges at all costs. I am kind of scared shitless but I imagine it will feel great once it is over and other than feeling like I am dying I know that it will be a really great time with the kids and if nothing else I will have the memories... just please fucking pray for me and wish me luck!
  • The Freeman Forum
  • Payten's Place
  • The Kimbells
  • Texan Jack
  • Trashman
  • Angi and The Boys
  • 63 Days
  • Jeanette
  • Dooce
  • HAPPINESS
  • DC MAIL
  •  
  •