Sasha's Reality Dial On The Net

Friday, November 11, 2005

Remeberance Day

Lest we forget...

I tried to go to a rememberance day ceremony at the Legion this morning... and well I did end up going and even took Avery and Jordan with me... but we got kicked out!

It was a really crappy deal really... I was asked to go to the legion with a few of the cadets for their rememberance day ceremony. We got there early and they had sent all the air, army and navy cadets to this little room in the back of the legion to watch a ceremony on TV!

I had asked my two godsons if they wanted to wake up early and come with me to see the ceremony at the legion since they had never been before and had never spoke to a veteran. I was really happy when they were both really excited to go, I think it's really important to get the youth involved in the ceremonies since we must remember if we do not want to repeat the mistakes of the past and every year the crowds at the ceremonies get older and older.

So I wasn't too impressed that they were sticking all the youth that did show up in a back room to watch the ottawa celebrations on tv instead of letting them experience the ceremonies going on in the main lodge. I took the boys on a mini tour of the legion and for a washroom break before the ceremonies got started.


It was probably the best part of the whole ceremony. The kids saw pictures of all the soldiers from Calgary who had gone away for world war I and world war II... they both thought the people in the pictures looked really young, like high school students. They also got to see many different metals and memorabilia from the two world wars. We heard bagpipes playing in the mail lodge as the ceremonies started to get under way so we thought we would poke our heads in and take a look...

Well they closed off a wall behind us and locked us into the main lodge... we tried to leave the main area and found ourselves locked out! The door to the back area where they were keeping the cadets was locked and some grumpy vet would not let us back into the building. He said that no non members were allowed in until after 12pm and that Avery could not come back in cause he was wearing jeans. I told him we were there with the cadets but he wouldn't budge... so we left and ended up watching the ceremonies at Genitta's!

  • The Freeman Forum
  • Payten's Place
  • The Kimbells
  • Texan Jack
  • Trashman
  • Angi and The Boys
  • 63 Days
  • Jeanette
  • Dooce
  • HAPPINESS
  • DC MAIL
  •  
  •